Who we are:
The Big Easy Wing is a newly formed organization officially designated on Friday, April 28, 2017 by the Commemorative Air Force (CAF). Designed to acquire, restore and preserve WWII Warbirds to flying conditions as well as educate our community through stories told through flight, events and artifacts.
CAF- Big Easy Wing Mission is: To Educate, Honor and Inspire through Flight!
We want you! Individuals who are interested in flying and learning the historical importance that these aircraft served in the War. To become a member of this organization, you must first become a member of the Commemorative Air Force (CAF) which is $200.00 per year. The Big Easy Wing dues are $50 per year. We are looking for all interested members whether you are fascinated by restoration, public relations, or piloting one of these phenomenal aircraft’s. All pilots must be licensed.
Upcoming Event: Big Easy Wing honors front-line responders as part of the United We Fly-4th of July CAF National Flyover. You are invited to participate by heading outside and looking up for the aircraft passing over head. Flight is scheduled for noon on July 4th. We would like you to share your photos with #LOOKUP and #cafBigEasyWing. Due to factors such as weather and other issues, schedules are subject to change or be cancelled
We are located next to the Lakefront Airport FAA Tower. Follow the ARFF Fire Department signs.
Directions to the Big Easy Wing hangar
- Take Stars and Stripes Boulevard on the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain to Igor I. Sikorsky Drive. · Look for the blue sign that reads Lakefront Airport at the top and below that, FAA Control Tower, etc. Turn at that sign.
- Drive north on Sikorsky as it bends around to the left.
- At the stop sign, turn right and continue north toward the lake.
- As you approach the sign that reads FAA Control Tower, go just past that and look beyond the fence on the left for a large hangar, the home of the Big Easy Wing (BEW) of the Commemorative Air Force.
- Pull into the grassy area outside the fence line and park facing the hangar. The airport’s Fire Station will be on your right.
- Enter through the walk-through gate which is fairly close to the Fire Station. Please close and latch the gate after entering.
- Look both ways before crossing the taxiway. Stop for any vehicles or aircraft moving on that strip of asphalt.
- Walk straight ahead to the front door of the hangar. You will be greeted by one of the BEW members just inside the door. Enjoy your visit!
Next Step: Be a contributor, help us keep her flying.