Who we are:
The Big Easy Wing is a newly formed organization officially designated on Friday, April 28, 2017 by the Commemorative Air Force (CAF). Designed to acquire, restore and preserve WWII Warbirds to flying conditions as well as educate our community through stories told through flight, events and artifacts.
CAF- Big Easy Wing Mission is: To Educate, Honor and Inspire through Flight!
We want you! Individuals who are interested in flying and learning the historical importance that these aircraft served in the War. To become a member of this organization, you must first become a member of the Commemorative Air Force (CAF) which is $200.00 per year. The Big Easy Wing dues are $50 per year. We are looking for all interested members whether you are fascinated by restoration, public relations, or piloting one of these phenomenal aircraft’s. All pilots must be licensed.
GiveNOLA Day is opportunity for our wing to brand itself within the community, fulfill our mission by continuing our Stearman legacy and to offer community members an opportunity to become a volunteer with our wing. Our wing is dedicated to education our youth about the history of WWII and aviation. For give NOLA Day we honored to educators for their work within the community. Heath Barker of Christian Brothers School and Eric WalterJunior the Achievement Impact Manager for Greater New Orleans
Please Visit our webpage– Events.
We are located next to the Lakefront Airport FAA Tower. Follow the ARFF Fire Department signs.
Directions to the Big Easy Wing hangar
- Take Stars and Stripes Boulevard on the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain to Igor I. Sikorsky Drive. · Look for the blue sign that reads Lakefront Airport at the top and below that, FAA Control Tower, etc. Turn at that sign.
- Drive north on Sikorsky as it bends around to the left.
- At the stop sign, turn right and continue north toward the lake.
- As you approach the sign that reads FAA Control Tower, go just past that and look beyond the fence on the left for a large hangar, the home of the Big Easy Wing (BEW) of the Commemorative Air Force.
- Pull into the grassy area outside the fence line and park facing the hangar. The airport’s Fire Station will be on your right.
- Enter through the walk-through gate which is fairly close to the Fire Station. Please close and latch the gate after entering.
- Look both ways before crossing the taxiway. Stop for any vehicles or aircraft moving on that strip of asphalt.
- Walk straight ahead to the front door of the hangar. You will be greeted by one of the BEW members just inside the door. Enjoy your visit!
Next Step: Become a contributor!
Big Easy Wings depends upon you:
1. To keep “N’Awlins Lady” flying — Please Donate
2. To educate our membership, community and youth about aviation and the role of aircraft in defending our nation-Please Donate
3. To encourage flight experiences- Please Donate